Tips To Make You Become A Great Cook
Cooking is a skill practiced by virtually everyone, but not mastered by many. What this means is that many people have the ability to cook or even appear to be cooks, but only a few produce very tasty meals.
Most often, if two persons were to be given the same ingredients to prepare the same meal, the end result will be different. Somehow, something must differentiate the meals. However, the art of cooking can be mastered by constant practice and, regular updates of one’s knowledge from professionals in this field.
Cooking is not a woman’s affair alone, it cut across gender, and surprisingly, there are guys that cook way better than some ladies.
You probably have been cooking all your life and you may possibly be a PRO in that field however this article will cause you to improve in your cooking skills.
- Understand the best ingredients for what you wish to cook: Learn to pick your ingredients correctly. After determining what you want to cook, it is of the essence to pick ingredients that will help you achieve your desired goals. I will give you an example, dry fish is sweet and pleasant, but it doesn’t seem to go well with every meal. A good cook should be able to identify the ingredients that suit your desired meal perfectly. You should also not only choose the best ingredient but ensure whatever ingredient it is you have is in the best shape.
2. Learn the art of measuring ingredients: after picking the right ingredients, it will be foolish to use them just anyhow. Learn and master the required ingredients for a particular meal and the right portion needed. Ingredients like vegetable oil, palm oil, salt, seasoning, spices, pepper, stock, beef, and fish should all be used in the right quantity alone.
3. Finely chop, slice, grate and blend ingredients: do not underestimate the damage a wrongly chopped, sliced, grated, and blended ingredient will do to you. Let me give you an example, the native okro soup requires the okro as the main ingredient to be well chopped, sliced, or grated. If you decide to wash the okro and just pour it into the stock, you might be making a huge mistake as you might not get the desired results.
4. Know the best cooking method to adopt at a particular given time. Some times, certain ingredients require thorough cooking, others just steaming, some frying, and roasting.
5. Lastly, be open to learning new things. Be ready and willing to up your knowledge of cooking at every opportunity you get.