Asaana (Local Coke)
Asaana is a healthy Ghanaian drink made from fermented corn and caramelized sugar. It is very refreshing and tastes great. When it is served with ice cubes, the taste is just undescribable. Asaana is best served with bread and ” bofrot”.
- In order to get the fermented corn, soak crushed corn in water for about 3 days for it to ferment.
- Boil the fermented corn for about 30-40 minutes. (To know whether the corn is ready, the foam on top will clear).
- Next, pour the sugar in a saucepan and make sugar syrup(make sure it turns dark brown).
- Then strain the water from the boiled corn and add it to the saucepan containing the sugar syrup and stir.
- Strain the chaff with a muslin cloth and store it in a fridge. Serve with ice cubes and milk.
Since you have been served with the process of preparing Asaana, below are some benefits:
- It aids in the prevention of heart conditions.
- It lowers blood pressure and neural-tube defects at birth.
- It guards against constipation, hemorrhoids, and colorectal cancer.
- Its antioxidant agent’s aid in the prevention of Alzheimer’s disease.
- It prevents anemia.
- It lowers LDL cholesterol levels (bad cholesterol).